This Week in Self-Hosted
15 September 2023
2023 Self-Host User Survey
We launched our first ever annual self-hosted user survey 📊 this week! It consists of 34 questions spanning several topics (hardware, software, networking, demographics, etc.) that shouldn't take longer than 5-10 minutes to complete. Responses will be accepted until 9pm EST on Friday, September 22nd. As always, feel free to reach out with feedback on how we can improve the survey for next year.
In the News
Digital Market Act 101
The Digital Markets Act (DMA) is an ongoing effort by the EU to discourage anti-competitive behavior from major players in the tech industry. Last week, they officially designated six major tech companies as gatekeepers. As gatekeepers, the EU claims these companies control the means of distribution for software markets in which they also offer competing services and will have six months to begin complying with the rules outlined by the DMA. This is an important topic for self-hosted and open-source software like Nextcloud, who regularly have to compete with the likes of companies like Microsoft (OneDrive, Office) and Google (Drive). (The EU also made major tech news this week after forcing Apple to comply with industry standards with the announcement of the new iPhone 15's USB-C charge cable.)
WordPress ♥ Fediverse
Back in March, WordPress parent Automattic acquired an ActivityPub plugin that would allow WordPress bloggers to be followed and receive comments from the fediverse (Mastodon, Lemmy, Pixelfed, etc.). Six months later, ActivityPub v1.0.0 has officially been released. While fediverse growth has slowed since this year's earlier Twitter debacle, it's still another great step towards decentralized social networks. It's your move now, Ghost...
- AudioBookshelf v2.4.0 | Audiobook Server: New config page to manage open RSS feeds, new translations, various minor bug fixes and changes
- Baserow v1.20 | No-code Database: Email notifications, audit logs at the workspace and instance level, search for calendar view, new shortcuts, context menu improvements
- Dittofeed v0.3.0 | Customer Engagement: Self-host on Render, new Node and web SDKs, CSV segment downloads, HubSpot integration
- Homarr v0.13.4 | Dashboard: Added toggle to show unmonitored items in *Arr suite
- Immich v1.78.0 | Photos: Self-signed certs now allowed on mobile app, iOS background upload fix, improved synchronization mechanism on mobile
- Komga v1.4.0 | Comic Server: Now available as a thin desktop wrapper, new raw page format API endpoint, OPDS updates
- Nextcloud Tables v0.6.0 | Tables: Added more views to tables, ability to share views individually, view adjustments via sorting and filters, links to other Nextcloud resources, smart picker
- Playlet v0.11.0 | YouTube Roku Client: New video queue, support for playlists, pagination, placeholder items while loading, updated settings screen, performance improvements
- PostgreSQL v16 | Database: Performance improvements, logical replication, added syntax, new I/O metrics via pg_stat_io, finer-grained options for access control
- PrivateBin v1.6.0 | Pastebin: Email button now a configurable option, additional translations, upgrade PHP to simplify development
- Rallly v3.0.0 | Event Polls: Poll finalization, custom poll settings (hide participant list, hide scores, disable comments), poll duplication, auth now required for poll creation
- REI3 v3.5 | Low-code Applications: Kanban boards, dedicated mail traffic logs, improved calendar views, control options for input focus, better layout options in the form editor
- Stirling PDF v0.14.0 | PDF Editor: PUID, PGID, and UMASK parameters, side stitch booklet arrangement, language updates
- Vrite v0.2.0 | Developer Content: Self-hosting support, redesigned landing page and docs, commenting system improvements
- Controtto: Self-hosted P&L tracker
- Kyoo: Open-source media server
- Note Mark: Lightweight, minimal Markdown note-taking app
- Simple SSH Manager: Manage server access and credentials in a single place
- WordPress ActivityPub: ActivityPub integration for WordPress blogs
Content Spotlight: Note Mark
Meet Note Mark, the new kid on the self-hosted note-taking block. Relaunched last week, Note Mark is a minimal, web-based note-taking application that features Markdown notes, mobile-friendly views, slug-based URLs, light/dark themes, sharing, flat-file storage, and a robust note-taking editor.
The software can be installed via Docker and does require a separate container for both the front and back ends of the application. The default storage utilizes a SQLite database, although PostgreSQL can be specified using environment variables. The project's documentation lists the instructions for bare metal setups as TBA.
This week's featured homelab is brought to us by Reddit user bmyatt99, who is clearly out to make the rest of us look bad with their Skittles-inspired, enterprise-level organization skills. u/bymatt99 provides additional context behind the setup and hardware in the posted Reddit thread.
Command Line Corner: curl ifconfig.me
Displays your network's external IP address in the terminal.
$ curl ifconfig.me xx.xxx.xx.xxx
Other News in Tech
Share Your Content in a Future Newsletter
We're always looking for new and existing self-hosted content to share in our newsletter. Reach out using the button below if you'd like to have your own content featured or have a suggestion for content types you'd like to see featured in future newsletters.