This Week in Self-Hosted (26 January 2024)
Self-hosted news, software updates, launches, and a spotlight on Stalwart Mail Server, an all-in-one self-hosted e-mail server
In the News
- Bigcapital v0.13.2 | Accounting: Show customer/vendor balances, inventory valuation and sales by item exports
- Bitwarden v2024.1.2 | Password Manager: Passkey saving for self-hosted deployments, "except passwords" API permission
- BudgetBee v0.7.0 | Personal Finance: Monthly budgets to prep for future functionality
- Dockcheck v0.3.6/7 | Container Updates: Added Pushbullet notification template, support for custom labels, option to force stack restart after update
- Firefly III v6.1.7 | Personal Finances: Improved reconcile workflow with additional link, new features in Layout v2
- HortusFox v2.0 | Plant Manager: Docker image now available via GHCR, improved build process for persistent changes, dynamic settings migrated from .env to database, image sharing, optional plant photos
- Keila v0.14.0 | Newsletters: Custom fields on signup forms (text, checkbox, dropdown, tags, numbers), contacts search and sorting
- LinguaCafe v0.5 | Language Learning: Improved Docker installation process, Jellyfin integration fixes, new language support
- LubeLogger v1.0.7 | Vehicle Records: Kanban boards for planning, recurring reminders, odometer tab with API endpoints
- Mealie v1.0.0 | Recipes/Meal Planning: Numerous bug fixes and backend updates, reintroduced 'latest' tag
- Navidrome v0.51.0 | Music Streaming: Removal of Last.fm shared API key (note the docs on generating and providing your own for free)
- ShotShare v1.9.0 | Image Sharing: Ability to clean up images not assigned to any shots, require login, visibility dropdown
- SimpleX Chat v5.5.0 | Private Chats: Private notes, simplified connect workflow, improved message delivery, local app storage encryption
- Dictionarry: Collection of quality profiles and custom formats for Radarr/Sonarr
- dir.zip: Gamified community platform inspired by the early internet
- Embrasure: Application secrets with an AWS backend
- GitHub Issues Notifier: Daemon process for e-mail notifications of new issues in GitHub repositories
- Janitorr: Media library cleaner
- Kener: Status page/outage monitor
- Pinball Friends: Track pinball scores between friends
- Profilarr: Import/sync quality profiles and custom formats for the *arr suite
- SendEnv: CLI tool for securely sharing environment variables with others
- Shared Shell History: Sharing and synchronization of shell history across systems
Content Spotlight: Stalwart Mail Server
Meet Stalwart Mail Server, an open-source, all-in-one JMAP, IMAP, and SMTP server written in Rust. Stalwart's unique selling point is its ease of installation and maintenance relative to other e-mail deployments – the software is delivered as a single binary that also provides easy scalability with native support for distributed environments via a flexible and customizable storage backend.
For the privacy-conscious, the server provides encryption at rest (administrators are unable to read user messages) and includes a ton of other features for managing e-mail: spam and phishing filtering rules, DNS blocklists, sender reputation monitoring, spam traps, LDAP and SQL authentication support, disk quotas, e-mail aliases, and more. The biggest feature currently missing is a web-based administration interface, which the project team is actively developing and anticipates releasing in the coming months.
What We're Watching
- SMB Server In Docker with ZFS! Simple, Cheap, and Efficient! | Jim's Garage
- This Smart Home Company Attacked Open Source | Everything Smart Home
- Manage Docker & Kubernetes Remotely with VS Code! | Jim's Garage
What We're Listening To
Smart Home and Automation
Git is not GitHub
Containers are not Docker
Command Line Corner: time
Prefacing a command with time outputs the amount of time it takes to execute. This is useful for measuring and optimizing the performance of scripts, downloads, and other tools.
The output of time consists of three values: the real time elapsed, the CPU time in user mode, and the CPU time in kernel mode.
/$ time python3 generate-rss.py
Click here to view an archive of commands shared in previous newsletters.
Other News in Tech
Share Your Content in a Future Newsletter
I'm always looking for new and existing self-hosted content to share in This Week in Self-Hosted. Reach out using the button below if you'd like to have your own content featured or have a suggestion for content types you'd like to see featured in future newsletters.