This Week in Self-Hosted (1 December 2023)
Self-hosted news, software updates, launches, and a spotlight on AudioBookshelf, a self-hosted audiobook and podcast streaming server
This Week in Self-Hosted
1 December 2023
Editorial Update: Privacy Remarks
Some concerns over the privacy of This Week in Self-Hosted's reader data surfaced last week as a Reddit user noted the large amount of 'trackers' DuckDuckGo was removing before serving the site to its users.
If your software is flagging trackers in this newsletter, it's either the referral text automatically appended to links we share (?ref=selfh.st) as a reference for other sites to track where their traffic is originating from, or the analytics Ghost provides to help us track what types of content users engage with or are interested in.
Feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns. Happy selfh.st/ing!
In the News
- AudioBookshelf v2.6.0 | Audiobooks: Support for OIDC authentication, API caching for library requests, NFO files as book metadata source, new translations
- ChangeDetection.io v0.45.8 | Monitoring: Selectable browser, functionality for logic in selectors, UI improvements
- Cosmos v0.13 | Server: Support for Cosmos and docker-compose stacks, more deletion options, icon edits/custom uploads, backup file improvements
- Ghost v5.74.4 | Content Management: Updated editor layout for mobile, updated Source theme to v1.1.1
- Immich v1.89.0 | Photos: Better reverse geocoding resource management, search name when merging faces, album sorting options
- Komga v1.8.0 | Comics: Proper ePub support, web ePub reader
- Linkwarden v2.3.0 | Bookmarks: Enhanced public page, upgraded sidebar, Keycloak OIDC support
- LinuxServer.io | Containers: New containers – Orca Slicer, UltiMaker Cura, Bambu Studio, Piper, and Faster-Whisper; Domoticz Deprecation Notice
- Paperless-ngx v2.0.0 | Document Management: Consumption templates, share links, compact notifications, additional translations
- PeerTube v6.0.0 | Video Streaming: Password-protected video privacy, video storyboard support, ability to replace video files, video chapters support, improved video player, SEO, and link sharing
- Podman v4.8 | Container Tools: HyperV support on Windows, heredoc syntax support, default database backend now SQLite instead of BoltDB
- Rallly v3.4.0 | Event Polls: OIDC support for Single Sign-On
- Shlink v3.7.0 | URL Shortener: Experimental support for sending visits to Matomo
- SimpleX Chat v5.4.0 | Chat: Group enhancements, improved calls, spaces in profile names, contact deletion notifications
- Tandoor Recipes v1.5.7/8 | Recipes: Multi-day meal planning, new automation types, ability to use files for secret key and database password, custom logo in navbar, dark theme updates
- Unraid v6.12.5 | Server OS: Mitigation for ZFS data corruption issue, bug fixes, and security updates
- XPipe v1.7.8 | Remote Management: New scripting system, startup performance improvements
- Calorific: Calorie tracker
- Grimoire: Bookmark manager with metadata fetching
- pytunes: Music streaming playlists for HLS media players
- Reader: Convert web articles into reader mode content
- sups: Quick queries on USB-connected UPS devices
Content Spotlight: AudioBookshelf
Meet AudioBookshelf, a media streaming server for audiobooks and podcasts. In a nutshell, AudioBookshelf connects to and builds metadata for existing audiobook and podcasts libraries to be streamed via progressive web app or mobile application. The software boasts features that compete with most non-self-hosted podcast apps, including extensive audio format support, multiple users, progress syncing across devices, automatic podcast episode downloads, Chromecast support, chapter editing, RSS feed publishing, ePub support, and SSO authentication.
What We're Watching
- Ultimate Beginner's Guide to OpnSense - Installation - Part 1 | Jim's Garage
- Keep a Pulse on Your Services: Exploring Statping-NG for Docker | DB Tech
- Manage Docker and Kubernetes in VSCode | Christian Lempa
What We're Listening To
Smart Home and Automation
- The Most Powerful DIY NAS I've built (ft. LattePanda SIGMA) | Wolfgang's Channel
- Introducing UniFi Express, a SMALL devices with BIG features! | Techno Tim
Command Line Corner: find -size +100M
The command find -size +100M finds all files in the working directory greater than or equal to 100MB. Adjust 100M to your liking if you'd like to search for files of a different size (for example, 1G for 1GB).
/$ find -size +100M
Click here to view an archive of commands shared in previous newsletters.
Other News in Tech
Share Your Content in a Future Newsletter
We're always looking for new and existing self-hosted content to share in This Week in Self-Hosted. Reach out using the button below if you'd like to have your own content featured or have a suggestion for content types you'd like to see featured in future newsletters.