This Week in Self-Hosted
10 November 2023
In the News
Open-Source ♥ Home Assistant
Home Assistant took second place (behind Microsoft's VS Code) among the top open-source projects by contributors in 2023 published in GitHub's 2023 Octoverse report this week. This isn't surprising given Home Assistant was also the front runner for favorite user software in our 2023 annual self-host user survey – but exciting nonetheless for a project so many in the self-hosted and open-source communities actively engage with.
- Actual Budget v23.11.0 | Budgeting: Various enhancements to mobile budgeting (editable budget cells, rename names), web sync keyboard shortcuts, desktop app stability improvements
- Cosmos v0.12.0 | Server Management: Added real-time system metrics monitoring, metrics dashboard, customizable alerts system, events manager, notification system, and marketplace UI
- Home Assistant | Home Automation: Removal of MyQ integration
- Honey v2.2.1 | Dashboard: Progressive web app support, hide scrollbar in Firefox
- Immich v1.85.0 | Photos: Global activity for shared albums, shuffle option for slideshows
- Librum | eBooks: Added support for self-hosting (Docker image to follow)
- LinkStack v4.4.0 | Personal Landing Page: Improved users table functionality and performance (sorting, search, pagination, responsiveness)
- Linkwarden v2.0.0 | Bookmarks: New archivable format for readability, full text search, rename/remove tags, recent links in dashboard, collection enhancements
- Narrowlink v0.2.0 | Remote Access: Direct P2P connectivity via QUIC, experimental TUN interface, individual domain certs, simplified access control
- PostgreSQL | Database: PostgreSQL 16.1, 15.5, 14.10, 13.13, 12.17, and 11.22 Released!
- Vaultwarden v1.30.0 | Passwords: Passkey support (requires updated browser extension), web vault update to 2023.10.0, crash fixes
- WordPress v6.4 (Shirley) | Content Management: New default theme (Twenty Twenty-Four), new editor enhancements, refreshed command palette design and new functionality, lightbox functionality, block hooks
- DweebUI: Web interface for Docker
- OpenWrt Status: Dashboard for OpenWrt routers
- Podsumer: Privacy-focused podcatcher
- Wallos: Personal subscription tracker
Content Spotlight: Keila
Meet Keila, the self-hosted newsletter alternative to popular hosted services like Mailchimp and ConvertKit. Keila allows users to create and send newsletters, manage contact lists, create custom campaigns, and capture user signups via forms. For larger audiences, the software also supports popular bulk SMTP mail senders like Mailgun, Sendgrid, AWS SES, and Postmark (along with custom user-specified SMTP configurations).
Keila can be installed via Docker and requires an accompanying PostgreSQL database for data storage.
What We're Watching
- Docker to Kubernetes Data Migration Made Easy! | Jim's Garage
- Self-Hosting ActivePieces to Automate Your Life Online | DB Tech
- Is THIS your next NAS? (Zima Blade Review) | Hardware Haven
Command Line Corner: !$
The characters !$ can be used as a shortcut to reuse or repeat the argument used in the most recent command. For instance, they can be used to easily navigate to a folder path that was recently created or modified.
/$ mkdir /this/week/in/self/hosted /$ cd !$ cd /this/week/in/self/hosted /this/week/in/self/hosted$
Other News in Tech
Share Your Content in a Future Newsletter
We're always looking for new and existing self-hosted content to share in This Week in Self-Hosted. Reach out using the button below if you'd like to have your own content featured or have a suggestion for content types you'd like to see featured in future newsletters.