This Week in Self-Hosted
3 November 2023
Site Update: We launched a new podcast this week 🎧
Happy Friday! If you missed it, we launched selfh.st's new podcast – The Self-Host Cast – this week. In the first episode (available on most major podcast platforms), we sit down with YouTube content creator David from DB Tech to review the results of our recent self-host user survey.
If you're a self-hosted developer or content creator and are interested in making an appearance, please reach out to start the conversation!
In the News
Bitwarden Passkeys Are Finally Here
Bitwarden has been teasing customers with passkey support all year – and it's finally here. Usage is currently limited to the browser extension (see the official docs here) and they can only be configured if you're running the latest version of the official Bitwarden server. Fingers crossed that support for passkeys in the popular self-hosted Bitwarden implementation known as Vaultwarden is on the horizon...
Say ByeQ to myQ
This week, Chamberlain Group – the company behind the myQ line of smart garage door openers, announced their decision to revoke unauthorized access via third-party apps to the myQ device ecosystem. Cue complaints from users of Home Assistant and other smart home software, who rely on third-party support to control and automate garage door functionality. Unsurprisingly, the community has already developed workarounds to mimic access while ditching the myQ ecosystem altogether.
- Bitwarden v2023.10.0 | Passwords: Support for storing passkeys on login items, e-mail two-step login codes are now single use
- BookStack v23.10 | Wiki: New 'My Account' area, admin user form changes, editor design updates, basic PWA support, additional error handling
- Firefly III v6.0.30 | Budgeting: Added 'Clone and edit' button, ability to customize URL protocol types accepted by Firefly III, transaction currencies now linked to users
- Ghost v5.71.0 | Content Management: Refreshed settings, new Recommendations feature
- Home Assistant v2023.11.0 | Home Automation: To-do list entities, upgrade Matter implementation to 1.2, customizable Tile cards, selectable date ranges in energy dashboards, and many other improvements
- Immich v1.83.0/1.84.0 | Photos: Manual asset stacking, shared links on mobile, new mobile app bar and user profile screen, shared links with passwords, new storage template variables, custom CSS/theme support
- Komga v1.7.0 | Comics: Better support for advanced image types, server port and base URL now configurable from web interface
- LinkAce v1.13.0 | Bookmarks: Proper page titles, dashboard stats only count for current user, updated style issues, additional translations
- Mastodon | Communication: Mastodon for Android update
- Memos v0.17.0 | Notes: New inbox page, updated documentation and blog
- Plex Dash v2.0 | Server Management: Additional details (IP, creation date, library count, and more), server activity overview, additional settings for server control (clean trash, refresh metadata, analyze files), download and share logs
- Plex Player | Media Streaming: New settings for Plex Pass subscribers: Rewind on resume, automatically skip intro/credits, skip ads in recorded content, adjust 'Up Next' timing, pass out protection timing, auto-play countdown timer
- Rallly v3.2.0 | Event Polls: Option for users to log in from an invite page, updated session handling to resolve issues with guest session expiration
- RomM v2.0.0/2.1.0 | ROM Manager: Updated container port and environment variables (breaking changes), new authentication and use management module, gallery bulk selection, ROM and custom art uploads, new 'Recently Added' section
- Stirling PDF v0.15.0 | PDF Editor: New support for annotations
- Symfonium v6.0.0 | Music Player: Support for Samba shares and WebDAV, progress towards OpenSubsonic features
- Listy: Generate monthly playlists for liked songs on Spotify
- OpenSign: Open-source alternative to DocuSign
- pf2open: In-browser pfSense to OPNsense configuration converter
- Slaanesh: Video game tracker
- What self-hosted services have the best "return on investment"? | Reddit
- Home Assistant Floor Plan with Sweet Home 3D | YouTube
- How do you efficiently document your self-hosted journey? | Reddit
Content Spotlight: Castopod
Meet Castopod, an open-source podcast hosting platform that streamlines sharing content and interacting with audiences. In a nutshell, Castopod manages the process of self-hosting podcasts (along with platform distribution and analytics) while providing a space (via the Fediverse) for audiences to directly comment on, share, and like episodes, clips, and other content. The software also comes packaged with Podcasting 2.0 abilities, built-in marketing and monetization tools, and several other handy features.
Castopod's documentation outlines how to install the application via bare metal, Docker, Ansible, or cloud hosting partners.
What We're Watching
- Docker Container Security: Scanning for Vulnerabilities with Trivy | DB Tech
- How to save power in a Homelab? 5 Tips! | Christian Lempa
- The Homelab Show Episode 111: Open Source, Firewalls, and Other Updates | Lawrence Systems
What We're Listening To
Command Line Corner: who -b
The command who -b displays the date and time of the machine's last reboot:
$ who -b system boot 2023-10-27 05:34
Other News in Tech
Share Your Content in a Future Newsletter
We're always looking for new and existing self-hosted content to share in This Week in Self-Hosted. Reach out using the button below if you'd like to have your own content featured or have a suggestion for content types you'd like to see featured in future newsletters.