This Week in Self-Hosted
13 October 2023
Subscriber Giveaway Update
Disappointed you weren't selected? Stay tuned – we're connecting with several self-hosted-adjacent partners to begin facilitating 🎊 quarterly giveaways 🎊 to increase brand/project awareness while also showing our appreciation to This Week in Self-Hosted subscribers!
- Cosmos v0.10.0 | Platform Management: New Android/Windows apps, full mesh VPN, network and device management UI, internal DNS manager, reverse proxy integration, and multi-server setup
- Ghost v5.68.0 | Content Management: New editor release, native image editing
- Homebox v0.10.0 | Inventory: Support for setting primary images, additional currency support, ability to easily increment quantity
- LinkWarden v1.1.0 | Bookmarks: New browser extension, full Docker support, option to disable registrations, dark/light mode, imports from other browsers
- Mailcow v2023-10 | E-mail: UI improvements (dark/light logos, dark mode enhancements, improved mobile view), domain-wide footers, optimized load of dockerapi container, dependency updates
- Memories v5.5.0 | Photos: Android app release (early access)
- NocoDB v0.202.4 | No-Code Database: NocoDB Cloud launch, multi-field editor, integrated shortcuts, responsive views, unified sidebar
- PhotoPrism v231011 | Photos: Additional details in search results when using cards view, fixed PWA screen orientation issues, thumbnail creation can now be disabled, ability to permanently delete now enabled by default
- PiGallery2 v2.0.0 | Photos: Dark mode, stick menu bar, in-line blog support, new icons and page logo, improved sharing UI
- circled.me: Photo and video backup and sharing
- Hush Line: Open-source anonymous tip line
- Obligator: OpenID Connect server (pre-release)
- Spacedrive: Cross-platform file explorer (alpha release)
- Touitomamout: Synchronize tweets with Mastodon and Bluesky
- Wrestic: Restic wrapper built using Rust
Content Spotlight: Oxker
Meet Oxker, a text-based user interface for viewing information and statistics about your system's Docker containers. At a glance, Oxker provides a list of containers, their current status, impacts on system resources (CPU, memory), container ID, image name, size, and more. The application also provides controls for navigating the various panels and executing basic commands (pause, restart, stop, delete).
Oxker can be installed via bare metal or Docker.
I'm happy to announce that the perfect homelab does exist and has been found. Shared recently on r/homelab by Reddit user u/duongtrieutang, this sleek setup features a TrueNAS system with ~120TB of storage and an NTP server driven by two Raspberry Pi 4's – all powered by 15 roof-mounted solar panels.
Additional information (included behind-the-scene photos of the solar setup) can be found in the posted Reddit thread.
Command Line Corner: nl
Use the command nl to preface each line with a number when viewing the contents of a file. This is particularly helpful when trying to reference lines in a large file.
user@selfhst:/$ cat example This Week in Self-Hosted user@selfhst:/$ nl example 1 This 2 Week 3 in 4 Self-Hosted
Other News in Tech
Share Your Content in a Future Newsletter
We're always looking for new and existing self-hosted content to share in This Week in Self-Hosted. Reach out using the button below if you'd like to have your own content featured or have a suggestion for content types you'd like to see featured in future newsletters.