This Week in Self-Hosted
6 October 2023
2023 Self-Host User Survey Results
The results from our 2023 Self-Host User Survey are live! Check them out using the link below.
P.S. Thanks to all who entered last week's giveaway! We'll notify the winner soon and will publish the announcement in next week's newsletter.
In the News
Mastodon's 2022 Annual Report (Only Ten Months Late)
Mastodon – the increasingly popular self-hosted and open-source alternative to Twitter/X – released their 2022 Annual Report this week (along with a promise to release their 2023 report in a timelier manner). In it, the non-profit organization states their desire to be transparent with the community on financials and other relevant information. Interesting tidbits include a whopping €326k in donations (up 488% vs 2021) and updating branding to further differentiate from the competition.
- Actual Budget v23.10.0 | Budgeting: Mobile pull-down to trigger bank sync, added 'spent' column to budget on mobile, Markdown support in notes
- Ghost v5.67.0 | Content Management: Added Source as the new default theme, increased maximum number of custom theme settings to 20
- Home Assistant v2023.10 | Home Automation: Updating logo starting to make appearances, updated My Home Assistant button style, new tile card features for climate entities, adjustments for better cooperation with password managers, and other minor feature updates
- Immich v1.80.0 | Photos: Patch for severe third-party dependency vulnerability, ability to store generated files in subfolders, name suggestions for faces, sidebar menu for 'People' page
- LinkStack v4.2.9 | Landing Page: Added Firefish and Bluesky buttons, new 'Trusted Hosts' restrictions
- Medusa v1.17.0 | eCommerce: New and improved authentication methods, release of Medusa UI 2.0 (new components, icons, and APIs), translations, and other minor feature updates
- Memos v0.16.0 | Note-Taking: New support for comments, updated layout for improved readability, updated branding
- Outline v0.72.0 | Wiki: Local file system storage now available, emoji picker in documents, embeddable videos, and a ton of other minor feature updates
- Stirling PDF v0.14.4 | PDF Editor: Multi-page layout now supports borders, additional size metrics for 'get intro' feature
- GoGrow: Planning, homesteading, and image annotations
- Medialytics: Statistics generator for Plex server content
- Spikster: Cloud server control panel
Content Spotlight: WatchYourLAN
Meet WatchYourLAN, a lightweight network IP scanner with a minimal web interface. WatchYourLAN monitors local networks for hosts/devices and lists them with relevant details (IP address, MAC address, hardware, 'Last seen' status), while also allowing users to mark devices as known for future reference. Setup includes authentication options, themes, network interfaces, and notification options for a number of services via Shoutrrr.
- Most used self-hosted services in 2023? [Survey] | Reddit
- Building a Cheaper Kubernetes Cluster at Home | dwbrite.com
Command Line Corner: tac
Use the command tac (cat backwards) to view the contents of a file in reverse order. This is particularly helpful when viewing logs, as the most recent writes are typically appended to the end of the file.
user@selfhst:/$ cat example This Week in Self-Hosted user@selfhst:/$ tac example Self-Hosted in Week This
Other News in Tech
Share Your Content in a Future Newsletter
We're always looking for new and existing self-hosted content to share in This Week in Self-Hosted. Reach out using the button below if you'd like to have your own content featured or have a suggestion for content types you'd like to see featured in future newsletters.