This Week in Self-Hosted
29 September 2023
Newsletter Update: Subscriber Milestones and a Giveaway 🎉
Happy Friday, fellow self-hosters! I'll get straight to the point – This Week in Self-Hosted recently hit a major subscriber milestone. To celebrate this, we're giving away a Home Assistant Green – the recently launched Home Assistant hardware hub.
Entry into the giveaway is easy – simply be an e-mail subscriber to This Week in Self-Hosted. We'll also award a bonus entry to anyone who shares this week's newsletter on Mastodon and tags us (@[email protected]).
Deadlines for entry into the giveaway will end Thursday, 10/5, at 9pm EST. We'll announce the winner in the following week's newsletter (10/13) once the winning details have been confirmed.
Thanks, and happy selfh.st/ing!
In the News
Apparently You Can Have Your Pi (5) and Eat It, Too
The long-awaited Raspberry Pi 5 was announced this week, the latest successor in the popular yet constantly out-of-stock single board computing line. The upgraded Pi 5 boasts an updated processor with 2-3x the speed of the Pi 4, a new graphics chip for better graphics performance, and the first-ever Raspberry Pi Foundation-produced component: the southbridge, a component on the motherboard that facilitates communication with peripherals. The Pi 5 comes in the usual variety of memory options, costs ~$5 more than the Pi 4, and should be available starting October 2023.
- Bigcapital v0.10.0 | Accounting: Tax rate service, sales tax liability summary report, tax rate tracking with sales invoices
- Ghost v5.65.0 | Content Management: Dynamic post rendering, repopulate featured collection records
- Homer v23.09.1 | Dashboard: New Immich, PiAlert, and Readarr custom services, updated SpeedtestTracker service documentation
- PhotoPrism v230923 | Photos: Redesigned 'Places' view, support for Samsung and Google Motion photos, and a ton of other minor updates and fixes
- Podman v4.7.0 | Container Tools: Modules on Linux, Docker Compose bug fixes, and better Quadlet support
- SimpleX Chat v5.3.0 | Communication: Encrypt local files in app storage, improved groups (delivery receipts, speed, stability), simplified incognito mode, new privacy settings, reduced memory usage, new languages
- Umami v2.7.0 | Analytics: Latest Prisma update now accommodates running on ARM servers, HOSTNAME variable now defaults to 0.0.0.0, version number visible in profile menu
- WriteFreely v0.14 | Publishing: Fediverse verification, new 'Contact' page, post-excerpts in stats list when missing title, friendlier 404 messages, filter posts by language
- btw: Open-source personal blogging platform
- macOS Containers: Native macOS containers (currently in alpha)
- Swirl: Open-source search with AI-ranked results
Content Spotlight: Postmarks
Meet Postmarks, a self-hosted social bookmarking app with a twist – Fediverse integration. Postmarks provides tag-indexed bookmark archiving with ActivityPub integration that allows other platforms (Mastodon, FireFish, etc.) to follow "posts", receive updates when items are added, and comment on individual bookmarks.
The installation process outlined in the repository's README heavily relies on utilizing Glitch to get Postmarks up-and-running, but also includes instructions for downloading the source code and running yourself via npm.
This week's featured homelab – brought to us by Reddit user u/EmiSkyye – is a custom-built rack cobbled together with a combination of off-the-shelf and 3D-printed parts. The end result is an extremely sleek mini-rack that houses three Dell Optiplex Micros, a patch panel, and switch.
According to Reddit post, the hardware is currently being utilized as a Proxmox cluster. The author provides links for all of the parts used in one of the comments and promises to make any custom STLs publicly available soon.
Command Line Corner: Using ^ to correct mistakes
Use ^typo^correction to fix mistakes in previous commands without having to retype the entire command from scratch:
user@selfhst:/$ cd /home/usr/appdata -bash: cd: /home/usr/appdata: No such file or directory user@selfhst:/$ ^usr^user user@selfhst:/home/user/appdata$ _
Other News in Tech
Share Your Content in a Future Newsletter
We're always looking for new and existing self-hosted content to share in This Week in Self-Hosted. Reach out using the button below if you'd like to have your own content featured or have a suggestion for content types you'd like to see featured in future newsletters.